Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Dance the Night Away
Alright all you bloggers, if you've been reading my posts you know that I love to dance and I am minoring in it at UW-Whitewater. What you might not know is that the annual DanceScapes '13 concert is just a month away and it's your only opportunity this year to see UW-Whitewater dance minors perform! The concert is on March 17, 2013 at 2:00 pm and on March 18-19, 2013 at 7:30 pm in Barnett Theatre located in the Greenhill Center of the Arts. Tickets are reasonable and there is even a student discount! But seats fill up fast so don't wait too long, if I were you, I'd order online.
DanceScapes has been apart of the Theatre/Dance Department's season series for many years now. Its a cumulation of student, faculty and guest choreographers, student and faculty designers, and student performers. Its a great way to see the talent UW-Whitewater has to offer. The concert is made up of nine different pieces and they are from all different genres and areas of dance. There will be a few modern pieces, a tap piece, a duet, a performance art piece, along with a few surprises. Basically, there is a style for everyone to enjoy.
Each year the Theatre/Dance Department faculty members bring in a Guest Artist to hold auditions and choreograph a work for the concert. This year we are very lucky to have Joseph Ravens choreograph a performance art dance piece. A neat fact about Ravens is that he is a college graduate from UW-Whitewater, where he majored in Theatre Performance.
Another aspect to DanceScapes is that a majority of the pieces are created by student choreographers and designers. There is an adjudication process involved where a guest panel votes who makes it into the concert. Four student-choreographed pieces made it into the concert this year! I am excited that I am in two of those pieces.
If you have never been to a DanceScapes concert before and/or are interested to hear more about a UW-Whitewater dancer's life- check this out!
Don't forget to get your tickets and come to DanceScapes '13 concert on March 17th at 2 pm and March 18 & 19th at 7:30 pm in Barnett Theatre. You won't be disappointed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment